Love's Place

Stanley Love


Born May 17th 1944,  Latonia, Kentucky, son of a West Virginia coal miner.  married  with children ,seven to be exact.....graduated high school in 63, while in high school navy reserves, after graduation didnt like the color gray, so switched to army...green was more his color... training at Ft.Knox, then on too Ft. Belivor, ...spent 64 and 65 in Korea, came back to Ft. Leonard Wood  for A few months, spent the next 11 months and 10 days Vietnam....from1965-1966 B Co.62nd.Engr.
click
   
  A Co.76th.Engineers 63-64,Korea      B Co. 62nd. Engineers 65-66,Vietnam

History of the 76th. Engineer Bn.(Const)

The 76th Engineer Battalion (Construction) was originally constituted on the inactive list of the Regular Army 1 October 1933 as the 4Oth Engineer Regiment (General Service) It was redesignated the 34th Engineer Regiment (General Service) 1 January 1938, and activated 5 March 1942 at Vancouver Barracks, Washington, with a cadre of officers and enlisted men form the 18th Engineer Regiment (Combat. On 18 April 1942 part of the Regiment entrained for Seattle, Washington and boarded the USS St. Michael, for Skagway, Alaska, the famous boomtown of '98. They arrived there on 22 April and the remainder of the Regiment came in on the 25th. On 1 August 1943 the Regiment received orders to return to the United States. It united at Whitehorse, entrained for Skagway on the 16th, embarked for Port Edward, British Columbia on four small passenger ships of a Canadian line, and traveled from Port Edward to Camp Sutton, North Carolina by rail. It returned to the States a unified organization fused by labor, hardship, and long experience in working together. A goal that bad been achieved in record time had raised its esprit de corps to very high level. Until 10 February 1944 the 34th remained in North Carolina, undergoing extensive training and solving night problems to accustom the elements of the command to night movement and security. On the 10th of the month the 34th left Camp Sutton enroute to Camp Hathaway, Washington, where it arrived on the 15th. Twelve days later the entire Regiment moved to Portland, Oregon, by truck and debarked on the U.S.A.T. Motorship Pennant, After a voyage of 37 days it disembarked at Darwin, Australia, and moved to its bivouac area 5 miles northeast. As of 20 July 1944 the Regiment was redesignated the 34th Engineer Construction Battalion. Construction work stopped on 20 December and six days later the Battalion~ on board the LST's 680 and 126, and Liberty Ship A.K. Mercury~ was once again at sea The three ships joined a large Naval Task Force off Sansapor and proceeded to their destination via Leyte, Surigao Strait, and the China Sea. At dawn on the morning of "S-Day", 9 January 1945~ the convoy entered Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, Philippine Island. Following heavy Navy shelling and dive-bombing the first elements of the Battalion, along with other assault troops, beached at 12oo hours followed shortly by the remainder of the men and equipment. Following the Japanese surrender the Engineers of the 34th wound up in Korea where until their inactivation 25 January 1949, they directed their efforts toward building up the country. Six months after its inactivation the 34th was again activated, on 25 June under the designation 76th Engineer Construction Battalion, it came to life again this time in Okinawa. One year later it was to receive the dubious honor of being the first engineer construction battalion to arrive in Korea after the start of the Korean Operations, Reaching Korea in July 1950, it immediately set out to prove its worth. The awards for service in Korea and the previous ones for the Alcan Highway in Alaska are indicative of the standards of service contained in the battalion motto,” To Work is to Conquer”. The colors of the 76th bear campaign streamers for the New Guinea and Luzon campaigns during the Second World War. Its new distinctive insignia, approved in June 1952, is red and silver, the Corps Engineers colors and carries symbols representing service in there two campaign A sea lion, which is part of the arms of Manila, signifies service in the Philippines and the head of a stone war club represents service in New Guinea it’s motto previously mentioned, is "Laborare est Vintere" It would be hard to fine a simpler phrase to describe the activities of 76TH ENGINEER BATTALION (CONSTRUCTION]

BATTLE HONORS CAMPAIGN STREAMERS

WORLD WAR II 'KOREA New Guinea UN Defensive Luzon (with arrowhead) UN Offensive CCF Intervention First UN Counter-offensive CCF Spring Offensive UN Summer-Fall Offensive Second Korea Winter Korea Summer-Fall 1952 Third Korean Winter Korea Summer-Fall 1952

Decorations; Meritorious Unit Streamer ALCAN Highway. Three Meritorious Unit Streamers embroidered KOREA. Philippine Presidential Unit Citation Streamer embroidered 17 October 1944,to 4 July, 1945 Two Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation Streamers embroidered KOREA Company A entitled to a Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation Streamer embroidered Naktong and Nam River

 



 

History of the 62nd. Engineer  Bn.

     The 62nd Engineer Battalion’s origin is Fort Devens, Massachusetts, where it was activated on 21 October 1939, as the 18th Engineers (Combat). In February 1942, the battalion was the first unit assigned to a task force being organized to construct the Alcan Highway, a vitally needed overland supply route. This highway acted as the lifeline for American forces in Alaska during WW II. In conjunction with the 97th Engineer Battalion, the 62nd Engineer Battalion constructed 1,450 miles of a 32 foot wide roadway from April to November 1942 through some of the most forbidding terrain in North America. The battalion was awarded its first Meritorious Unit Commendation for its efforts constructing the Alcan Highway. In August of 1942, the unit was redesignated as the 2nd Battalion of the 18th Engineer Combat regiment. During the winter of that same year, the battalion was deployed to the Aleutian Island of Adak to build a supply base and staging area capable of equipping an expeditionary force of 50,000 men.

     In May of 1943, the battalion was moved to Shemya Island in the Aleutian chain to construct an airstrip capable of launching fighter aircraft. The battalion was later called upon to lengthen a runway for bomber operations against the Japanese assault on the Aleutian Island. The battalion received an Aleutian Island Campaign streamer for its efforts.

     On 30 November 1944, the battalion was sent to Camp Bowie, Texas. On 8 January 1945, the 2nd Battalion reorganized as the 410th Engineer Combat Battalion. Following the completion of reorganization, the 410th moved to Fort Belvoir, Virginia, where the battalion was placed in support of the U. S. Army Engineer School. On 22 April 1949, the 410th was redesignated the 62nd Engineer Construction Battalion. Sixteen months later, the 62nd left fort Belvoir for Korea.

     The 62nd landed at Ichon, Korea on 25 September 1950, ten days after the initial United Nations invasion force caught the North Koreans by surprise and turned the tide of the Korean war. Nine campaign streamers and two Meritorious Unit Commendations were awarded to the battalion, which completed many major battalion and company sized construction projects enhancing the offensive drive into and the withdrawal from North Korea. The battalion left Korea for Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in January 1955 and was called upon to assist in converting the installation into a permanent post. During the 11 years following Korea, the battalion remained at Fort Leonard Wood until hostilities erupted in southeast Asia.

     In August of 1965, the 62nd Engineer Battalion deployed to Vietnam. Its first mission was to construct a 10,000 foot airstrip and cantonment at Phan Rang. In 1966, the battalion moved to Long Binh where it spent two years constructing and repairing roads and logistical facilities.

     In January 1969, the 62nd Engineer Battalion was chosen to become one of the most unique Engineer Battalions in the Army. Although it was never officially redesignated, the unit was known throughout Vietnam as the 62nd Engineer Battalion (Land Clearing). Its new mission was to clear away jungle cover used so effectively by the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese. In order to accomplish the mission, each company was equipped with bulldozers with specially designed blades manufactured in Rome, Georgia and heavy duty protective cages. During the period July 1969 through October 1970, the battalion’s D7 "Rome Plows" cleared 240,000 acres of jungle in south Vietnam while supporting the II Field Force.

    While in Vietnam, the 62nd Engineer Battalion took part in 14 campaigns. During this time, the battalion was awarded its fourth, fifth, and sixth Meritorious Unit Citations and the Vietnamese Civic Action Medal.

     The 62nd Engineer Battalion departed Vietnam for Fort Hood, Texas in October 1971 and was assigned to the 13th Support Command. In June 1976 the battalion was redesigned as the 62nd Engineer Combat Battalion (Heavy). The battalion deployed on 28 and 31 October 1990 to Saudi Arabia to support XVIII Airborne Corps and ARCENT in defensive operations. On January 1991, the start of Operation Desert Storm, the battalion was actively constructing over 200 miles of Main Supply Routes and the largest logistics base used for offensive operations. On 25 February 1991, the battalion crossed into Iraq close on the heels of the 24th Mechanized Infantry Division.

     The battalion returned to Fort Hood on 15 April 1991 and was awarded two Southwest Asia Campaign streamers; the Defense of Saudi Arabia and the Liberation and Defense of Kuwait streamer, making a total 0f 38 streamers on the battalion colors. For it’s efforts in the Middle East, the Battalion was awarded it's seventh Meritorious Unit Citation.

     Since its arrival on Fort Hood, the 62nd Engineer Battalion has provided extensive support to III Corps and Fort Hood. The battalion’s annual construction budget of approximately  $1,000,000 provides for numerous challenging construction projects.

     The battalion has recently deployed soldiers to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for JTF-160; Arizona for JTF-6; and Bosnia for Operation Joint Endeavor. On post construction operations have included a multi-million dollar range upgrade at Clabber Creek, construction of six metal warehouses, extensive tank trail upgrades, HAZMAT and AAR buildings, improvement of BLORA recreational facilities, Phantom Range upgrades and Venable Village Community building construction.

     Additionally, the battalion has been fully engaged in the training events of range weeks, numerous NTC rotations, ARTEPS, squad stakes, and spearheading the Motorpool Pride project for Fort Hood.

     The 74th Engineer company (AFB,R) is a separate company that was attached to the 62nd Engineer Battalion in 1992. It was first activated on 15 July 1941. They served in World War II in Rhineland and Central Europe Campaign. The unit was inactivated on 31 January 1946 at Camp Killmer, New Jersey. They were reactivated at Fort Bragg, North Carolina on 1 October 1949. On 2 August 1950, the 74th Engineer Company was sent to Korea and served in all 10 Korean War campaigns. The 74th Engineer Company was deactivated on 25 June 1958. the 74th Engineer Company was once again reactivated on 17 October 1992. The 74th Engineer Company has received two Army Meritorious Unit commendations, one for the Alean Highway and one in Korea.

     The 68th Engineer Company (CSE) is also a separate company attached to the battalion since 9 June 1993. The Company was originally constituted in April 1927 as the 710th Engineer Depot Company. Throughout the years it went through many inactivation's and reactivations. Prior to its activation at Fort Hood in 1993, the company last inactivated in June 1976 at Fort Bliss, Texas. Since the 1993 activation the company has done a multitude of missions. The company deployed along the border of Arizona in April 1994 in support of Joint Force-Six. Since October 1994, the Company has deployed platoons regularly with both 1st Cavalry Division and 4th Infantry Division to the National Training Center. The Company is a very coveted asset among the maneuver units

Home