Military Armor Patches History

Page 1 of 3
Information extracted from the book
"US ARMY PATCHES"  
byBarry Jason Stein
Used by permission

xxxxxxxxxxxx
5th Qm Regt  (Mech)

Worn from:  1939 - Unknown.


xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hq Hq Co

Worn from:  December 1934 - 15 July 1940.


xxxxxxxxxxxx
19th Ord Co (Mech)

Worn from:  1938 - 1939.


47th Engr Trp (Mec) round patch with white border and white lightning bolt
47th Engr Trp (Mech)

Worn from:  1939 - 1940.

68th Regiment
68th FA Regt
(Mech)

Worn from:  September 1936 - 1939.

All of the armored insignia below have the following description in common:  Yellow (cavalry), blue (infantry), and red (artillery) are colors of the branches from which armored units were forned.  The tank tread, gun, and lightning flash are symbolic of mobility, power, and speed.  The armored corps' insignia are inscribed with roman numerals which traditionally used to designated corps' unit numbers.


xxxxxxxxxxxx
3rd Armor
Recon Bn

Worn from:  1945 - 1965.


7th armor
7th Armor
Recon Bn

Worn from:  1945 - 1965.

 Tanker Prof Bdg
    Tanker Prof Bdg

Worn from:  1940's (Unauthorized).

Approved for local wear only by the First Armored Division.
The colors are yellow for Cavalry and green for Armor.

Tnk Destroyer Force
Tnk Destroyer Force
 

Worn from:  22 September 1942 - 16 October 1946.

The design of the insignia, approved in 1942, is a black cougar's face eating an enemy tank.  This represents the forces ability to seek, strike, and destroy.  The tank destroyer tactical and firing center was activated at Fort Meade on 1 December 1941 and relocated to Temple, Texas on 14 February 1942.  Re-designated Tank Destroyer Command on 2 March 1942.  Re-designated as Tank Destroyer Center at Camp Hood 24 July 1942.  Deactivated 10 November 1945.

1st Armor Corps - 2nd Armor Corps - 3rd Armor Corps - 4th Armor Corps - 5th Armor Corps
1st Armor Corps - 2nd Armor Corps - 3rd Armor Corps - 4th Armor Corps - 5th Armor Corps

Worn from:  15 July - 10 July 1943.

Activated in July 1940 at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

Campaigns: 
World War II (European-African-Middle Eastern theater).

Worn from: 17 January 1942 - 10 October 1943.

Activated at Camp Polk, Louisiana.

Worn from: 20 August 1942 - 10 October 1943.

Activated at Camp Polk, Louisiana.

Worn from: 5 September 1942 - 10 October 1943.

Activated at Camp Young, California.

Approved:  1942 (Unauthorized).

Although the insignia was manufactured, this corps was never activated.

 

Worn from:  10 October 1943 - 15 February 1944 (Unauthorized).

Re-designated as Eighteenth Airborne Corps.

Worn from:  7 May 1941 - 2 July 1943.

Re-designated as Armored Command.  Worn from:  2 July 1943 - 20 February 1944.

Re-designated as Armored Center.  Worn from:  20 February 1944 - 21 March 1947.

Re-designated as Armored Replacement Training Center.  Worn from:  21 March 1947 - 30 August 1955.  

Worn from:  1940 - 1945.
A unique armored regiment activated at Fort Knox, Kentucky, on 1 February 1942.  It served as an elite school for troops organized, as it was, as a miniature combined arms replica of an armored division

Worn from:  1940 - 1945.

Worn from:  1943 - 1945.

Worn from:  1 May 1959 - December 1967.

Back

Home

Next