Military Army Schools and Centers

Page 1 of 8
Information extracted from the book
"US ARMY PATCHES"
by Barry Jason Stein
Used by permission



ACTA 2nd ID
 

Worn from:  1960's - 1970's.

Approved for local war only.

The patch for the Imjin River Scouts, in the shape of the map of Korea, incorporates an arrowhead pointing north.  Superimposed on the arrowhead is the Indian head of the Second Infantry Division.  The arrowhead is symbolic of training methods that utilize basic skills attributed to the American Indian.  The inscription reads "IMJIN" Scouts."


2nd ID DMZ
2nd ID DMZ


Worn from:  Late 1960's - 1970's.

Approved for local wear only.

The insignia was worn by personnel who had at least twenty-five missions in the demilitarized zone but who had not attended the Advanced Combat Training Academy course.


5th Bde Tng Patch
5th Bde Tng
 

Worn from:  28 February 1984 - Current.

The flaming torch is symbolic of education and enlightenment.  The V-shaped chevron suggest the number of the brigade and the repetition of the V-shape illustrates the basic tenet that all learning is accomplished by repetition.  The colors are adapted from the Eighty-ninth Reserve Command insignia.


11th Abn Div Jump School Patch
11th Abn Div
 Jump Schl


Worn from:  April 1956 - 1 July 1958 (Unauthorized).

The skull and wings are traditional symbols of airborne troops.  Their motto is "Death from Above."


402nd Bde Tng Art Patch
402nd Bde Tng
(Arty)


Worn from:  18 April 1985 - 17 April 1986.

Re-designated:  402nd Brigade Training -- Artillery.  Worn from:  17 April 1986 - Current.

The four points created by two crossed swords converging upon a red (artillery) circle, together with the torch of knowledge, represent the unit' designation.



Adjutant General School patch
Adjutant General School 

Worn from:  13 June 1973 - 16 April 1986.

Re-designated:  Adjutant General Center.  Worn from:  16 April 19886 - 1988.

Re-designated:  Adjutant General School.   Worn from:  1988 - Current.

The star, centered within the annulet, alludes to central control and coordination in the fields of administrative and personnel management.  It is also symbolic of guidance, knowledge, and achievement.  The four arrows, representative of a compass, refer to the mission of The Adjutant General Center and the Reserve Com- ponents Personnel and Administration Center, providing worldwide management of army administrative systems, personal environmental programs, and United States Army Reserve Components systems and personnel.




Soldiers' Support Center patch
Soldiers' Support Center

 

Worn from:  1 July 1974 - 14 November 1980

Re-designated:  Institute of Personnel and Resource Management.  Worn from:  11 November 1980 - 12 May 1988.

Re-designated:  Soldiers' Support Center.   Worn from:  12 May 1988 - 5 May 1994.

Re-designated:  Soldiers' Support Institute -- United States Army.  Worn from:  5 May 1994 - Current.

The green field represents the green of the country-side where Fort Benjamin Harrison is located.  The silver torch and blue heneage knot are adapted from the shoulder-sleeve insignia of the center's parent organization, the United States Army Institute of Administration; the torch represents knowledge imparted by the schools which comprise the center, and the heneage knot represents prior training missions at Fort Benjamin Harrison, with gold and silver representing the enduring value of the knowledge imparted by the schools that comprise the center (Finance and Adjutant General).  During 1995 - 1996, the center was relocated to Fort Jackson, South Carolina.  The two white stars are symbolic of guidance and leadership.

 


ABN Schl Mainz
Germany

Worn from:  April 1956 - 1 July 1958 (Unauthorized).

The airborne wings and skull are tradition symbols of the airborne.  Their motto is "Death from Above."



Abn Glider School Inst

 

Worn from:  1942 - 1944.

Worn by instructors at Laurinburg-Maxton Air Base, North Carolina (the main glider training center).  Blue and white are the colors of infantry.


AAF Tech Tng Cmd patch
AAF Tech Tng Cmd

 

Worn from:  24 July 1942 - 1947.

The origin and significance of the design is unknown.


FA School Air Tng Dept Patch
FA Schl Air Tng Dept


Worn from:  1940's.

The design of a winged army mule alludes to the air training mission of the school that was established as part of the Field Artillery School at Fort Sill, Oklahoma on 6 June 1942.  On 1 January 1953, this function was separated from the Field Artillery School, and the Army Aviation School was created.  In August 1954, it was transferred to its present location at Fort Rucker, Alabama.


AAA School Patch
AAA School


Worn from:  31 March 1942 - October 1944.

Approved for local wear only by school faculty members.

The lamp of knowledge is the symbol for schools.  The letters "AAA" represent the unit's designation.